Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should MMOs offer respecs?

3 posters

Go down

Should MMOs offer respecs? Empty Should MMOs offer respecs?

Post by TheHidden01 Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:00 pm

Should MMOs offer respecs? Image1-1323124407

"Everyday we take the Massive daily posts and bring them to Dragoon discussions. We would like to thank Massively for their original content."

MMOs last for so long that you're almost guaranteed to get bored or make a mistake at some point during character development. Most games know this and allow you a do-over, be it through unlearning skills in sandboxes like Glitch and Ultima Online or respecing talent point choices in World of Warcraft. Lest your choices be trivialized, certain games insist on making respecs prohibitively expensive; City of Heroes and Champions Online even charge real money for respecs should you deplete your in-game allotment.

But other MMOs simply provide no outlet for a do-over at all, like Star Wars: The Old Republic, which currently locks you into your advanced class choice at level 10, long before you're really capable of making that kind of decision. While the devs are still debating respecs as a post-launch addition, a surprising number of players are vehemently opposed to the entire concept on the grounds that it makes character choices irrelevant.

What say you -- should all games have respecs, or are do-overs just another form of "easymode"?

TH
TheHidden01
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male
Number of posts : 19977
Position in Command : King
Registration date : 2007-03-11

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com

Back to top Go down

Should MMOs offer respecs? Empty Re: Should MMOs offer respecs?

Post by TheHidden01 Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:02 pm

Personally I don't mind respecs but I hate it when it's so easy to do. I hate the idea that people just spec the flavour of the month on the fly, encouraging know true growth in their abilties. It only makes my fights easier because they suck shit, but I want more choices meaning things, and resets to be only every now and again. Not when Billy Boy says ability X is OP at the moment.

TH
TheHidden01
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male
Number of posts : 19977
Position in Command : King
Registration date : 2007-03-11

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorek Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:31 pm

i like the eve respec, basically its like reseting the character stats, but has the limit of every 6 months you can do it.
i think it could be time capped respec kind of system to discourage the cookie cutter shit seen in wow too much.
Dorek
Dorek
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Female
Number of posts : 1182
Position in Command : Underboss
Other Names : John Rambo Mclane Rocky Balboa
Registration date : 2010-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Kreed Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:30 pm

I think they said the first time would be free, but it would oost you more everytime you do it thereafter. I'm not sure right now, but it could be a good system.
Kreed
Kreed
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Male
Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2011-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down