Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would you prefer more developer transparency?

2 posters

Go down

Would you prefer more developer transparency? Empty Would you prefer more developer transparency?

Post by TheHidden01 Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:42 pm

Would you prefer more developer transparency? Opendoor

"Everyday we take the Massive daily posts and bring them to Dragoon discussions. We would like to thank Massively for their original content."

There is undeniable truth in the idea that we as gamers constantly want to know what our developers are working on; we just can't get enough, and we have a growing need to be "in the loop." To attempt to fill the void that most studios create, we dedicate time to our games' test servers and speculate in online forums to feed our addictions -- some of us even post "walls-o'-text" in hopes that one day our favorite dev will take a look at our ideas and turn them into reality.

On the flip side, some studios are taking an "open door" approach and ask that their devs post in the forums, tweet WIP photos, and connect with the community. Some of these devs even post in ideas threads and give feedback. And on even more rare occasions, they might like your idea so much that they buy it off of you or hire you (true story over at Star Trek Online with ThomastheCrypticCat).

As you can tell, both approaches bring up questions worth pondering. Do you like developers to be transparent with things they are working on or would you rather be surprised and plagued by anticipation? If they talk about something that is coming out but then becomes delayed, how does that make you feel? Do you follow any of the dev trackers religiously? Has any of you had your ideas come to life in your favorite game?

TH
TheHidden01
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male
Number of posts : 19977
Position in Command : King
Registration date : 2007-03-11

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com

Back to top Go down

Would you prefer more developer transparency? Empty Re: Would you prefer more developer transparency?

Post by Thorgar Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:20 pm

well transparency would be nice but there should be a limit, players having effect on a game is nice ofcourse but the main line should still come from the developers and not random gamers that mostly want to get better themselfs and yes i have had some effect on a game myself because i found that new players weren't really able to develop themself so they would quit or stay and get raped all the time. It did take some time to get it right because they didn't believe me so i made my own guild in that game and helped new players to get better most stayed and in one month i together with my nephew had the best guild in game. But that was a few years back.
Thorgar
Thorgar
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Male
Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-11-25

Back to top Go down