Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much of your MMORPG play amounts to 'work'?

4 posters

Go down

How much of your MMORPG play amounts to 'work'? Empty How much of your MMORPG play amounts to 'work'?

Post by TheHidden01 Wed May 17, 2017 10:32 am

How much of your MMORPG play amounts to 'work'? Farmer-860x280

This original article is taken from Massively OP for discussion here.

The latest SMBC comic is going to have my fellow MMO fans nodding enthusiastically: In response to the first man, who says we need to find the “next big thing” after gamifying work, a second man suggests workifying games — something the author dryly remarks was obviously the catalyst for the first MMORPG.

And I’m not sure he’s wrong at all. A tremendous amount of my MMO gameplay consists of activities I suspect an objective observer would classify as work rather than a game. Unpaid work. The only real difference is that some of it is work I enjoy — like crafting in a sandbox with an immersive and rewarding economy. Quest hubs, though? I’m over that.

How much of your MMORPG play amounts to “work”? Has that changed since you first began playing MMOs?

TH
TheHidden01
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male
Number of posts : 19977
Position in Command : King
Registration date : 2007-03-11

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com

Back to top Go down

How much of your MMORPG play amounts to 'work'? Empty Re: How much of your MMORPG play amounts to 'work'?

Post by Brother_Felix Wed May 17, 2017 12:20 pm

A lot really amounts to work. But somehow its fun.
Brother_Felix
Brother_Felix
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Male
Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2016-03-29

Back to top Go down

How much of your MMORPG play amounts to 'work'? Empty Re: How much of your MMORPG play amounts to 'work'?

Post by Dorek Wed May 17, 2017 1:57 pm

100% all work no life.
Dorek
Dorek
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Female
Number of posts : 1182
Position in Command : Underboss
Other Names : John Rambo Mclane Rocky Balboa
Registration date : 2010-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerisar Wed May 17, 2017 5:11 pm

Big part is work indeed, as long as i can see usefull progress for doing it however i'll generally have fun with it. Not as much the tedious task itself but the payoff you get when you achieve what you've worked towards.

If however it's tedious grind ,to then still be miles behind with no end in sight then ye it really starts to feel like work 100% , even the fun stuff like pvp will start getting boring then.
Solerisar
Solerisar
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Male
Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2016-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down