Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's the best way to deliver MMO lore?

4 posters

Go down

What's the best way to deliver MMO lore? Empty What's the best way to deliver MMO lore?

Post by TheHidden01 Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:02 pm

What's the best way to deliver MMO lore? D3-1346105436

The MMO genre is increasingly dominated by AAA titles like The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, and Star Wars: The Old Republic, all of which tuck story and lore into special cutscenes bookending regular combat, but that's not the only way to drop backstory into a game. In fact, Diablo III's lore-delivery system might just top them all.

Did I just use Diablo III and lore in the same sentence? I did! Diablo III reveals its backstory to the player through a series of voiceovers that play as you play rather than take you out of the fight. Little audio pop-ups narrate the significance of characters and places so you understand what's going. It's not that the game never employs cutscenes; it just restricts cutscenes to Very Important Events.

Granted, this type of system might not work so well in a full-fledged massively multiplayer game, so today we're asking what you think: How do you want lore delivered in your MMOs?

TH
TheHidden01
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male
Number of posts : 19977
Position in Command : King
Registration date : 2007-03-11

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com

Back to top Go down

What's the best way to deliver MMO lore? Empty Re: What's the best way to deliver MMO lore?

Post by Fariette Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:11 pm

As a lore freak, I agree on the Diablo III way of delivering lore.
I actually think that Guild Wars 2 is dropping behind in terms of accesible lore content. So many short sentences to describe events that occured over thousands of years.
A player shouldn't be forced to go to fansites in order to catch up on the lore.
My opinion, for what it's worth...
Fariette
Fariette
Private
Private

Male
Number of posts : 3
Other Names : Milfar
Registration date : 2012-09-03

Back to top Go down

What's the best way to deliver MMO lore? Empty Re: What's the best way to deliver MMO lore?

Post by Marshy Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:42 pm

TBH i i am not really the person for lore, as long as it keeps me going i dont rerally mind
Marshy
Marshy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Male
Number of posts : 1706
Position in Command : Sergeant At Arms
Registration date : 2007-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by TheHidden01 Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:53 pm

MxO's way is the best way by far. They had live events managed by the dev teams which were unique, different and kept the story going.

For example, Niobe maybe trying to get back some stolen codes, she would contact the Zionites, and they would attack the machine areas. Machine players would be contacted by their Agent, and they would fight to defend. It was once only, there and then, if you missed it, tough. The world evolved, the story changed, it was like living in a world that grew around you. They had events like these every week that evolved the story.

Was magical, honestly. I remember when the war broke out again, each faction were meeting, us Zionites were being attacked by level 100 agents (we are 50s capped), and it was chaos.

Great times.

TH
TheHidden01
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male
Number of posts : 19977
Position in Command : King
Registration date : 2007-03-11

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fariette Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:55 pm

Events in-game are all good... but only if you know the story leading up to it.
Fariette
Fariette
Private
Private

Male
Number of posts : 3
Other Names : Milfar
Registration date : 2012-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DaemonGal Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:13 pm

I enjoy the way guild wars has done it, with that little introduction that changes depending on what you choose, however i don't really feel like i get the full story of the world and all the raced from that and in game. The game is more story focussed than lore focussed, however it's a nice change to have voice acted cut scenes instead of stupid text boxes all the time. I haven't played many mmo's that deliver lore very well to be honest =/
DaemonGal
DaemonGal
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Female
Number of posts : 198
Other Names : Rin, Zephere
Registration date : 2012-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down