Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What outdated game mechanic should be retired from MMOs?

4 posters

Go down

What outdated game mechanic should be retired from MMOs? Empty What outdated game mechanic should be retired from MMOs?

Post by TheHidden01 Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:22 pm

What outdated game mechanic should be retired from MMOs? Booth

Returning to an old game is like hopping in a time machine and surveying the horrible mistakes made by MMO studios a decade ago. Forget those five guys who still murmur the word "permadeath" wistfully; we're talking corpse runs, vitae penalty, corpse looting, tank mages, experience loss, holy trinities, zone walls, hybrid class level penalties, and tree-top cities without railings, all as a matter of course for the games of the day. Nowadays, these mechanics are abandoned in a field somewhere by all but the most retro game studios.

I have to wonder what we'll look back on in another 10 years with the same feeling of "wow, I can't believe anyone thought that was a good idea." Cash shops? Flying mounts? Faction-grinds? Classes? Skill bars? Questing? Tree-top cities without railings? (Seriously guys -- stop making those.) What game mechanic is so outdated and so abhorred that it should be retired from MMOs right now?

TH
TheHidden01
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male
Number of posts : 19977
Position in Command : King
Registration date : 2007-03-11

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com

Back to top Go down

What outdated game mechanic should be retired from MMOs? Empty Re: What outdated game mechanic should be retired from MMOs?

Post by Hemlig Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:05 pm

PvE

Hemlig
BANNED

Male
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-01-22

Back to top Go down

What outdated game mechanic should be retired from MMOs? Empty Re: What outdated game mechanic should be retired from MMOs?

Post by Wyxz Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:52 pm

IMHO gear dependance to level. I would love that armor weapons would be only cosmetic and that you could mod them (i liked that in swtor). Because many times i needed to change piece of equipment that i loved only because i outleveled it etc. I think that way game would be more interesting, because people could gather their own "Epic set" for End game.
Wyxz
Wyxz
BANNED

Male
Number of posts : 79
Position in Command : Village Idiot
Registration date : 2012-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Aqura Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:07 pm

I would have to side with gear dependence and grinding when it's not for the purpose of lvling up.
Aqura
Aqura
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Male
Number of posts : 729
Other Names : Swim
Registration date : 2007-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down