Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My TV Show pilgrimage

Go down

My TV Show pilgrimage Empty My TV Show pilgrimage

Post by TheHidden01 Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:02 am

I love TV shows, I really do, and so I have decided to start a Pilgrimage through them. Starting in the year 1990 I will be watching every show that stands out and reviewing and commenting on them. Some I have seen, others I wouldn't have, my hope is to watch every major show since then especially when we hit the 2000s and shows get 10 million times better.

You're welcome to join me, comment, review anything I do, just let me know if you do want to join me for shows, I shall list the two I am on, and then list the upcoming show so you can consider it.

I do have some rules to follow when watching the shows:-

1) If I choose to watch it, I have to watch the first three episodes, if it's that bad, I will stop watching it.
2) I will try to watch as much as I can, but some shows maybe just awful.
3) At the end of the season I reserve the right to stop watching it (probably applies to reality shows).
4) I will try to watch a variety of genres and types and shows I wouldn't normally consider.
5) I will watch two shows at once, in order of debut in that year.
6) I will review each show a season at a time and average the rating for the overall show, with the season ratings (more on that when I review).
7) If I get down to just one show, I shall watch double of that.
8. Finally, I will not advance to a new year until all seasons are finished in the current year.

The Simpsons - Season 1 Currently
Fresh Prince of Bel Air - Season 1 Currently

The Fresh Prince of Bel Air - Season 2 - Upcoming
The Simpsons - Season 2 - Upcoming

The Fresh Prince of Bel Air - Season 3
The Real World: New York
The Simpsons - Season 3
Batman: The Animated Series
Highlander: The Series
X-Men

(More to come later).

Feel free to join me anytime, please for shows you want to watch in the entirety or with me, ask me so we can arrange times.

Also, any shows you think I must watch, let me know!

TH
TheHidden01
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male
Number of posts : 19977
Position in Command : King
Registration date : 2007-03-11

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com

Back to top Go down

My TV Show pilgrimage Empty Re: My TV Show pilgrimage

Post by TheHidden01 Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:47 pm

My Ratings

1st The Simpsons 9.6

TH

Last edited by TheHidden01 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheHidden01
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male

Back to top Go down

My TV Show pilgrimage Empty Re: My TV Show pilgrimage

Post by TheHidden01 Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:25 pm

The Simpsons - Season 1

My first review is also one of my hardest, how can you realistically review a show that is such a staple of our culture? The Simpsons is one of the most impactful, and possibly one of the most successful tv shows ever made. The lovable family has been a part of our my life since I was a child, and the amazing thing about it is that anyone of any age can enjoy and appreciate it, even with some deep added depth for the adults.

The Simpsons is something that everyone in my generation grew up with, and I can imagine the next generation growing up with The Simpsons too. With this review, I will be reviewing it from a first time perspective, which makes this task almost impossible. I will take into consideration the time of release, and the quality of shows beforehand.

Season 1 is the first show of my Pilgrimage and was set in 1990.

This review will be non-spoiler, and not too indepth, just the basics. I cannot guarentee that the intelligent among you wont depiece somethings however in some of my reviews, so you have been warned!

Story

The most important part of any show for me, is the story and The Simpsons certainly brings it's own unque form of chaos and mayhem. Before 1990, nothing even came close to the pop culture references, varied cast, and excellent stories. With such a varied range of characters both main and side, it makes it so easy to tell such an incredible array of stories.

In terms of storytelling The Simpsons is a simple different story, every episode show. From what I can tell so far, no real story carries over and no mention can be made, simple things such as getting a new dog may have an impact but other than that, nothing seems to stick. (Yes I know somethings do, remember I'm reviewing JUST Season 1). Normally this heavily turns me off a show, but each episode of the The Simpsons is so unique, special, and well-crafted that it's impossible not to enjoy each individual moment.

I have heavily enjoyed every episode, which is typically laden with two stories throughout. Each character brings magic to an episode, and the way the characters connect with the world, and the way it responds to them is just magical. The ideas for each episode has been brilliant, from Bart faking an exam to get into dweeb class, or of course Homer's constant battles with incompetance, each one as lovable, and memorable as the next.

If there is but one gripe, it would be some slight repetition, and it's only early. Two episodes featured a Marge pissed off with Homer theme for feeling unloved. Other than that it was very strong, with definately Bart and Homer getting the large focus in the stories.

Ultimately I will always say that a true great story is continuous, and Simpsons is not, but just the brilliance, at a time when most shows really weren't that indepth is incredible.

Rating:- 9/10

Production

This is where The Simpsons shines for me, it's unlike anything else even today, so back in the dark ages (imo), it was ground breaking. It's animations, comedic style, and the way the show is put together is fantastic, and still as relevant today. From the wacky nature that every moment is presented, to the rather realistic and frank showing of a not so perfect, yet ordinary life, The Simpsons is a masterpiece in production terms and still stands as strong today as it did then.

Rating:- 10/10

Characters

I don't even need to say it but in every way The Simpsons has truly one of the greatest set of characters in the history of tv shows, especially the main characters. Each character is so unique, so independantly strong that you could run a show with either character and they could fit anywhere and shine. So far it seems to me that Bart and Homer are the stronger more fleshed out characters with more airtime but I know this developes later.

Cast

This is similar to characters but looks at it from an acting side. What more iconic voices were formed than those with The Simpsons, honestly they are all fantastic, especially Homers which we really shines for me. I think there is strong depth with a strong collection of different characters that sound different but voiced by the same person.

Rating:- 9/10

Groundbreaking

The Simpsons isn't just Groundbreaking, it's industry changing. In the West no Cartoon really stood out to the rest of society like The Simpsons does.  There really is something for everyone, and as we know The Simpsons influenced several major shows. The Simpsons for me started the shift from mediocrity for me, and it was so different, so unique, it was almost like a different genre to tv shows it was that special.

To give anything less than a 10 here, would be an outrage.

Overall

The Simpsons is one the greatest TV shows ever made, and perhaps the most synonomous show of my generation. It has accompanied a new lifetime of kids, layabouts, and survived the ages. In my opinion there will never be another show that breaks the mould like The Simpsons, and several of my all-time favourite shows were influenced by this giant.

Simpsons is really that damn good, and it is a pleasure to open with such a massive score:-

Rating:- 9.6/10

TH
TheHidden01
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male

Back to top Go down