Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dye Unlocking To Be Character-Based, Not Account-Based

3 posters

Go down

Dye Unlocking To Be Character-Based, Not Account-Based Empty Dye Unlocking To Be Character-Based, Not Account-Based

Post by TheHidden01 Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:54 pm

Guild Wars 2′s official forums are now closed, but fans with a shovel in hand can still dig and find informative red posts, like the one below on developmental changes to the game’s dye system from ArenaNet employee Crystin Cox:

There was a time when the dye system was very different and at that time dye unlocks were account based, but we have since changed the dyes system and we really feel that character based is the right way to go and the system we have now is the best one for the game.

More after this break…

Continuing Cox’s post:

Customized dye should be something that denotes your characters progress, like better looking, more elaborate gear. As you spend more time on your character, they grow and gain access to more customization options. If we make dyes account based, this progression will only happen on one character. We wanted character customization to remain tied to the character but we felt that one-time-use dyes discouraged players from customizing as often as they would like, that is how we arrived at the current system.

There are 400 dyes in the game, we do not think of dyes as something that a character should unlock all of, it is not meant to be a collection feature. Each character should have a unique palette and we have made enough colors to make this possible. Dyes come from world drops, rewards, crafting, the Mystic Forge, and the Gem Store and we expect that over the life of a character you will collect a lot of them.

We are still developing and the dye system will continue to receive attention and improvements, but changing it to an account based system is not something we are considering right now.

As mentioned above, the system was originally designed (and revealed in September of 2010) to be account-based.

After a member of the official forums created another topic on dyes, Cox weighed in again, this time explaining how the recently-added Mystic Forge will add to color collection:

We are working on a a way for you to make the exact color of dye you want using the Mystic Forge. You will need to get a specific crafting material for each color but you will get the exact color you want.

We really don’t want dyes to be a Gem Store only feature, we understand that some people would be willing to pay more to get exact dyes or all the dyes but we want to keep some aspects of the dyes system in the game.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think this change will add to the collectibility and demand of certain shades in the dye system, or would you prefer that dye be account-based? Let us know by commenting below!

TH

TheHidden01
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male
Number of posts : 19977
Position in Command : King
Registration date : 2007-03-11

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com

Back to top Go down

Dye Unlocking To Be Character-Based, Not Account-Based Empty Re: Dye Unlocking To Be Character-Based, Not Account-Based

Post by Kreed Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:03 pm

Already noticed this during the last Beta, when dyes I had unlocked on my ranger through the glory reward boxes didn't show up on other characters. Either way, it's not really a game breaker for me. There's enough basic colours available from the get-go to keep me happy.
Kreed
Kreed
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Male
Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2011-12-15

Back to top Go down

Dye Unlocking To Be Character-Based, Not Account-Based Empty Re: Dye Unlocking To Be Character-Based, Not Account-Based

Post by Urbanus Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:49 pm

I think this makes sence...
I indeed see alot of people making work of one char that they use to unlock all.
But the journey can be as intresting when you do that with diffrent char.
In my eyes a good call
Urbanus
Urbanus
BANNED

Male
Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2011-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down