Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would you like more sprite graphics?

2 posters

Go down

Would you like more sprite graphics? Empty Would you like more sprite graphics?

Post by TheHidden01 Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Would you like more sprite graphics? Wakfu-tdg-epl-1001

Back in the time when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, nearly all video game graphics were produced as a series of animated pixels, or "sprites" as they're more frequently known. Sprites have evolved from the basic pixel-block format seen in old Atari games to being complex collections of fluid animation, producing graceful and evocative art. Of course since each and every frame of a sprite's animation has to be hand-drawn and can often be quite involved, vector-based three-dimensional graphics have become the standard for games both online and offline.

World of Warcraft and other triple-A titles are never likely to be dominated by sprite graphics, since the result is usually less character customization, more work for the art team, and only a negligible actual benefit. But what about you, the player? Do you like seeing games where the landscapes and avatars are rendered with sprites instead of polygons? Does it give you a sense of nostalgia and familiarity? Or do you dislike the style and want to see a move away from what was once the predominant graphical style?

From Massively.

TH
TheHidden01
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male
Number of posts : 19977
Position in Command : King
Registration date : 2007-03-11

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com

Back to top Go down

Would you like more sprite graphics? Empty Talking about dinosaurs...

Post by riderxx Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:20 pm

I feel I have an obligation to inform you kids that, in my time "sprites" where an enormous step forward in gaming evolution, as everything up to then (80s) was done in "vector graphics" which where basically lines and wireframes that simulated 2d and even sometimes 3d objects and environments.

Anyway, to get back on thread topic, I've seen the trend in a few titles (very few) and frankly speaking I hope it doesn't become somekind of fad. My opinion is that any dev that goes that way is just being cheap with resources, I don't think they do it as a concern for our nostalgia, thats marketing talking out of its ass.

I have read in the media that 3d artistic design/production takes alot/most out of a game production budget, so companies might be compeled to tone down the tech on some less commercial titles in order to save money.
Personally, I have occasionally tried to play old games after the boot of nostalgia suddenly kicked me in the nuts, and against my better judgement have fallen into the trap and permanently destroyed a good memory of a game as I'm almost always dissappointed.

Call me superficial if you wish, but I like my graphics sharp and shiny, volumetric shadows and pixel shaders are my drug of choice and I have paid good money for the adequate hardware to fully enjoy the visual part of a game. Don't get me wrong I always prefer substance over looks in a game, but I find visuals as a no compromising factor.

riderxx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-06-17

Back to top Go down

Would you like more sprite graphics? Empty Re: Would you like more sprite graphics?

Post by TheHidden01 Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:23 pm

riderxx wrote:I feel I have an obligation to inform you kids that, in my time "sprites" where an enormous step forward in gaming evolution, as everything up to then (80s) was done in "vector graphics" which where basically lines and wireframes that simulated 2d and even sometimes 3d objects and environments.

Anyway, to get back on thread topic, I've seen the trend in a few titles (very few) and frankly speaking I hope it doesn't become somekind of fad. My opinion is that any dev that goes that way is just being cheap with resources, I don't think they do it as a concern for our nostalgia, thats marketing talking out of its ass.

I have read in the media that 3d artistic design/production takes alot/most out of a game production budget, so companies might be compeled to tone down the tech on some less commercial titles in order to save money.
Personally, I have occasionally tried to play old games after the boot of nostalgia suddenly kicked me in the nuts, and against my better judgement have fallen into the trap and permanently destroyed a good memory of a game as I'm almost always dissappointed.

Call me superficial if you wish, but I like my graphics sharp and shiny, volumetric shadows and pixel shaders are my drug of choice and I have paid good money for the adequate hardware to fully enjoy the visual part of a game. Don't get me wrong I always prefer substance over looks in a game, but I find visuals as a no compromising factor.

I agree with the graphics Wink

Can't stink pixy dust and wank.

TH
TheHidden01
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male
Number of posts : 19977
Position in Command : King
Registration date : 2007-03-11

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com

Back to top Go down

Would you like more sprite graphics? Empty Re: Would you like more sprite graphics?

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down