Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you ever sad when you levelcap in an MMORPG?

Go down

Are you ever sad when you levelcap in an MMORPG? Empty Are you ever sad when you levelcap in an MMORPG?

Post by TheHidden01 Tue May 03, 2016 5:30 am

Are you ever sad when you levelcap in an MMORPG? Coh188-860x280

Taken from another site, the thoughts and feelings do not represent my own.

I recently levelcapped another character in Guild Wars 2, my Asura Guardian, and yet as soon as she dinged, some of the spark of playing her went out, and I wanted to play another character who would continue accruing experience. It’s a weird sensation, especially for someone who usually hates level-oriented games, because we’re so used to the idea that “the game starts at the cap” thanks to themeparks like World of Warcraft. But in this particular case, I just don’t see myself playing her much now that she’s essentially done — I have several other characters I like more for playing at cap. And that made me sad.

I used to bump into this same let-down in City of Heroes. I would sometimes intentionally stop leveling hard in the mid-30s (the spot where you’d secured most of your core class-defining skills), just so that I’d have a lot of characters to pick from to play who would still accrue meaningful experience. When I got beloved characters to the cap, I just wound up not wanting to play them, even though I could easily sidekick down. I just hated knowing I was doing that rather than playing an alt who’d get experience, knowing that I could be broadening my account better on another character. I could never shake that feeling of “waste.”

Am I alone in this weird, counterproductive hang-up? Are you ever sad when you levelcap a character in an MMORPG?

TH
TheHidden01
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male
Number of posts : 19977
Position in Command : King
Registration date : 2007-03-11

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com

Back to top Go down