Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you blame developers or players for rampant exploits?

2 posters

Go down

Do you blame developers or players for rampant exploits? Empty Do you blame developers or players for rampant exploits?

Post by TheHidden01 Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:23 pm

Do you blame developers or players for rampant exploits? Tom-clancys-the-division-31003-1366x768-860x280

Taken from Massively.

As long as I can remember, there has been a back-and-forth between players and developers on the subject of game exploits. I remember back in my first days of Final Fantasy XI there were players openly using third-party hacks and bots for various purposes, usually involving fishing, leveling Enhancing magic, and other tedious tasks. Right now The Division is mired in a long series of exploits, and as soon as one gets fixed, another one gets discovered and used. It’s a bit of a mess.

I’ve seen people defend it, of course, but a lot of those defenses don’t hold a whole lot of weight. Yes, the developers should have fixed bugs before they went live, but that’s what makes it a mistake instead of a design feature. No, no one should develop game mechanics so tedious that you feel the urge to automate them, but cheating doesn’t seem like the proper way of addressing that problem. At the same time, if the developers have left in something that makes the game absurdly easy, I can understand rolling back unethical gains made, but banning people seems kind of harsh if it’s not specifically harming other players. And that’s not getting into things like FFXI‘s Windower, which was technically an exploit of a very poorly coded port.

But I’m just one writer, and today my question is for you, dear readers. Do you blame developers or players for rampant exploits in MMOs? Is it a culture of entitlement or a natural result of poor QA?

TH
TheHidden01
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male
Number of posts : 19977
Position in Command : King
Registration date : 2007-03-11

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com

Back to top Go down

Do you blame developers or players for rampant exploits? Empty Re: Do you blame developers or players for rampant exploits?

Post by Kreed Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:27 pm

Both sides are to blame to some degree. The devs should fix exploits as soon as possible, as is their responsibility. Players, meanwhile, should be expected of not to knowingly abuse the exploits for personal gain. Play the game how it is supposed to be played. If you need exploit abusing to get ahead you are a weak shit.
Kreed
Kreed
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Male
Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2011-12-15

Back to top Go down