Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please login to experience the full glory of the Dragoon forums!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you feel about flying mounts in MMOs?

+2
Dr Louise
TheHidden01
6 posters

Go down

How do you feel about flying mounts in MMOs? Empty How do you feel about flying mounts in MMOs?

Post by TheHidden01 Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:19 pm

How do you feel about flying mounts in MMOs? Tech
When World of Warcraft introduced flying mounts with The Burning Crusade, I immediately saw it as a mistake, a viewpoint that I maintain until this day. For those that disagree, you have to address why the studio itself kept coming up with reasons to "ground" pilots in subsequent expansions. I think that even the devs know that it was a mistake but Pandora's Box was opened and there was no shutting it.

For the record, I'm not against flying mounts in general, just in games not designed from the ground-up to have them. They tend to trivialize and shrink the game world, since you can just fly over any obstacles and spend your time looking at featureless sky instead of hand-designed landscape. As in real life, I'm OK keeping my feet on the ground in games most of the time.

What's your position on flying mounts? Bonus points if you include examples of both bad and good flight implementation.

TH
TheHidden01
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male
Number of posts : 19977
Position in Command : King
Registration date : 2007-03-11

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com

Back to top Go down

How do you feel about flying mounts in MMOs? Empty Re: How do you feel about flying mounts in MMOs?

Post by TheHidden01 Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:27 pm

I like the novelty of flying mounts but honestly it just destroys World PvP, and makes the world so small.

If it was down to me I would make flying very hard to get, and have flight combat, only way I would allow it if I was making an MMO.

TH
TheHidden01
TheHidden01
Dragoon King
Dragoon King

Male
Number of posts : 19977
Position in Command : King
Registration date : 2007-03-11

http://www.alwaysdragoons.com

Back to top Go down

How do you feel about flying mounts in MMOs? Empty Re: How do you feel about flying mounts in MMOs?

Post by Dr Louise Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:26 pm

I love flying over a really nice place and see it from above, it ruins world pvp tho which is bad.
I dont really think that permanant flying should be a thing in mmos with world pvp. Maybe limited like wings or whatever that you can only fly on for a little while.
Dr Louise
Dr Louise
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2

Female
Number of posts : 516
Other Names : Linda
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshy Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:22 pm

meh, i don't mind flying mounts, depends really i say no to flying mounts in any pvp but anything elsa i dont mind
Marshy
Marshy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Male
Number of posts : 1706
Position in Command : Sergeant At Arms
Registration date : 2007-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Kreed Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:51 am

Fuck that. If I want an overview of the world, I'll climb a damn mountain and watch from there. IMO flying mounts make the world feel like a much smaller place, even more so than GW2's waypoint system does (though the most recent patch shows that they're learning from the past and are more sparingly with the waypoints when making new zones).
Kreed
Kreed
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Male
Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2011-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorek Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:25 pm

i wouldn't mind an airship or spaceships whatever that could be like slow as in traveling distances from point a to point b and not really too useful to just avoid pvp, maybe they should have like a resource that runs out so you have to make a stop somewhere along the way just like in dayz you can't fly forever especially when fuel bar blinks 0.
Dorek
Dorek
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Female
Number of posts : 1182
Position in Command : Underboss
Other Names : John Rambo Mclane Rocky Balboa
Registration date : 2010-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Aqura Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:01 pm

Being able to fly and fight in the superhero MMOs is pretty fun, but as a mount ehh.
Aqura
Aqura
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

Male
Number of posts : 729
Other Names : Swim
Registration date : 2007-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down